Shipra Khanna is an Indian Celebrity chef from Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, who is also an author, TV Host, Food Consultant, Content Creator, Food Critic, and Social Communicator. Shipra is famous for Winning MasterChef India, season 2, which was telecasted on popular Indian television channel Star Plus in 2010 and regarded as the “Youngest Female Celebrity Chef in India.”
Shipra Khanna was born on Wednesday, 18 November 1981 (age 39 Years; as of 2020) in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She did her schooling at Loreto convent school in Upper Kaithu, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. She has done graduation in Economics and Psychology from St Bede’s College Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Balween Khanna runs a jewelry shop in Shimla and Radha Khanna is Shipra’s mother’s name. She has a brother, Akshay Khanna, who runs a jewelry shop with his father in Shimla.
Relationships, Wife & Children
Shipra was the prey of dowry abuse from her husband and in-laws. She got the divorce when she was 19 years old. Shipra also struggles and fought for the custody of her kids. Shipra has two children (daughter Yadavi Khattar (Younger) and son Himannk Khattar (Elder)).
As a celebrity chef, Shipra Khanna has judged many famous Indian Food TV shows. These shows include Pure Sin with Shipra Khanna on Food Food and K for Kids. In Britannia Star Chef with Saif Ali Khan, Shipra appeared as a celebrity chef. She has hosted Indian food TV shows and international Food TV programs including Flavors of Ramadan Season 3 on Star Plus, UAE, and Good Food Guide Season 2 on Star Plus, UAE.
Shipra started her first venture in Gujarat and named it “H.O.T – House of Taste” in 2013. She opened her second hotel named “The Darzi Bar & Kitchen, in New Delhi in 2017. The book ‘Sinfully yours’ which was written by Shipra Khanna won the Best TV celebrity Cookbook in 2007 at the World Gourmand Awards in China. Shipra was regarded as the first Indian chef to win this award for her book ‘Sinfully Yours.’
Faccia Events 2017 in Chennai, India, Shipra attended vegetarian starters and dessert workshops. She gave a statement that-
Making a mark in a male-dominated industry, of course! However, I truly believe that the odds are not skewed against women today as was the case a few years back. Earlier, you had one Tarla Dalal for a hundred Sanjeev Kapoors. Today, women are more determined and clear about the kind of goals they want to achieve. That is a good thing, definitely.”
Travel giant Yatra tied up to work with Shipra in 2017 to train the chefs in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. She looked excited to collaborate with more restaurants for drafting an exciting menu for the tourists. She said-
You have fresh produce and exciting ingredients in the Andamans, but sadly they were not being put to great use. I am trying to collaborate with restaurants there to compile an exciting menu for tourists…an even better reason you have to visit this undiscovered gem of a place!”
Shipra Khanna inaugurated the first tandoor in Paris in 2017 where she practically demonstrated the four-course use of tandoor.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2014: ‘Culinary Connoisseur’ by Australia tourism and Cox and Kings
- 2017: “Women Chef taking taste beyond borders” by SAARCS Chamber Women Entrepreneurs Council (SCWEC)
- 2017: “Best Television Chef Book Outside Europe” by Gourmand World Cookbook Awards
- 2017: ‘The Culinary Ambassador to Spain,” by the Spanish Ambassador to India
- Mille-feuille (French cuisine)
- Indian tandoori or English–bread
- Shipra’s cooking style is Indian Cuisine.
- Doing Yoga & Meditation, and Travelling are Shipra’s hobbies.
- Shipra Khanna is an Indian street food lover.
- In the finale of MasterChef India, season 2, in 2010, Shipra along with the last two finalists, had to prepare dishes for 100 people present at the show who voted for Shipra to announce her as the winner.
- Shipra Khanna likes to drink wine.
- Shipra joined cooking classes as one of her stress-busters, and eventually became her passion.
- Shipra’s mother was her biggest inspiration behind winning MasterChef India Season 2.
- Shipra loves to do photography for relaxation.
- Ms. Khanna donated a part of her winning amount from MasterChef India Season 2 to the special children studying in a local school in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
- Along with Rs. 1 Crore winning amount MasterChef India Season 2, Shipra signed a contract to host a cooking reality show on Indian television. She also earned vacation tickets for three nights and four days in London.
- Shipra is a Non-vegetarian.
- According to Shipra, her favorite food destinations are-
New York and London. These are the major food hubs and you’ll find anything you think of eating. Australia is the next food destination.”
- Shipra also loves to cook for her pet dogs.
- Shipra Khanna’s favorite chefs are Sanjeev Kapoor, Kunal Kapur, and Vikas Khanna.
- Shipra revealed her favorite food and drinks in an interview. She said-
I love wine and Australia has its own wine and cheese, which is different from French, South American and South African wines. I am looking forward to tasting authentic wine in the Australian wineries. I’m also looking forward to tasting Australian ice-creams since they are known for their dairy products. Every place has their own stamp on foods that we’re familiar with. I can’t wait to try their burgers and steaks, which will be very different from the Americans. Their seafood is outstanding as well–lobsters, crab–and I’m eager to try it.”
- Shipra’s mentors are Chef Ajay Chopra and Chef Kunal Kapur.
- Shipra believes that cooking is art so as the architecture. Shipra Khanna is an admirer of architectural marvels.
- Shipra often participates in tree plantation drives in India.
- Shipra loves traveling and to express and boost her talent and skills in Indian cuisine, she often tours globally.
- Ramp walks are also liked by Shipra.
- Shipra is a Yoga supporter.
- Bike riding is Shipra’s free time interest.
- The Miss Russian LA pageant was also judged by Shipra in 2019.
- Shipra actively participates in live sessions and discussion shows on Indian television and various social media platforms.
- Scooba diving is Shipra’s recreation activity.
- Many renowned magazines and tabloids highlighted Shipra Khanna on their front page as a celebrity Chef.
- Saffola masala oats, one of the popular food brands in India was also promoted by Shipra Khanna through TV commercials.
- ‘Long bar’ at Raffles, Singapore also invited Shipra Khanna for its 100-year celebration in 2015.
- Shipra received a gift from Nature’s Basket, a wine bottle on which her picture was engraved, on Women’s day in 2015.
- Madhya Pradesh tourism was also promoted by Shipra in 2015.
- “Indonesian Gastro Diplomacy” a live event in Mumbai, was attended by Shipra Khanna in 2021.
- Various workshops and training on food are also attended by Shipra to revise her cooking expertise.