VANCOUVER, British Columbia, August 11, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (CSE:AGN) (FRANKFURT:AGW) (OTCQB:AGNPF) (the “Company” or “Algernon”) a clinical-stage pharmaceutical development company, is pleased to announce that it has initiated an NP-120 (“Ifenprodil”) small cell lung cancer (“SCLC”) research program and Dr. William North, Professor Emeritus at Dartmouth College, has appointed and pioneered cancer research as principal advisor. SCLC is a high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma that occurs primarily in current or former smokers and has an exceptionally poor patient prognosis. SCLC accounts for about 15% of all lung cancer cases.
In a study published in January 2019 entitled “Small-Cell Lung Cancer Growth Inhibition: Synergism Between NMDA Receptor Blockade and Chemotherapy”, Ifenprodil combined with the chemotherapeutic agent topotecan produced marked additive effects that completely blocked tumor growth.
🎬📺 Free Movies and Free TV Shows! 🎭🎬
Key findings from the study:
- Incubation of NCI H82 cells with Ifenprodil in vitro significant components of the ERK 1/2 growth cascade are significantly reduced. Activation of the ERK/MAPK signaling pathway promotes proliferation and has an anti-apoptotic effect. In addition, levels of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP), a DNA repair protein, were decreased (X0.38) while cell apoptosis was increased (X5.21). NCI H82 has been described as “variant” and is representative of recurrent disease.
- 48 h incubation with Ifenprodil doses 106μM. In addition, clear additive effects with topotecan were demonstrated, as co-incubation with 4 M topotecan decreased the IC50 of Ifenprodil from 106 M to 7.3 M (P
- Xenografts from mice given a daily dose of Ifenprodil (2.5 mg/kg) for 10 days reduced their size by ~30% and maintained a size below that on day 0 until treatment stopped on day 10. Thereafter, the tumors started to recover and grow but at the same rate as control tumors (P
- Xenografts from mice given alternating daily doses of Ifenprodil (2.5 mg/kg) or topotecan (Days 0, 2 and 4) for 9 days showed delayed tumor growth compared to vehicle-treated controls, so each agent limited the increase in tumor size to about 2.5 times on day 16, while controls increased to an average of 9.2 times. Tumor doubling times were 4 days for controls, 9 days for topotecan treatment and 12 days for Ifenprodil treatment.
- Xenografts from mice given alternating daily doses of Ifenprodil (2.5 mg/kg) plus 3 mg/kg topotecan on days 0, 2 and 4 appeared to arrest all growth during the 16 days of observation, and the tumors of all individual animals behaved in a similar way with little spread. From this study there was a clear addition by the combination of topotecan and Ifenprodil (P
- Xenografts from mice receiving alternating daily doses of Ifenprodil (2.5 mg/kg) plus 50 mg/kg cyclophosphamide on days 0, 1 and 2 produced a marked additive effect (P
Study link: Small Cell Research
The company recently announced that it has signed an exclusive licensing agreement with Dartmouth College to acquire the rights to a patent on a method of use for the treatment of neuroendocrine cancers containing functional N-methyl-D-aspartate (“NMDA”) receptors. express.
The company plans to file a pre-IND (Investigational New Drug) meeting request with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to present all elements of the company’s SCLC clinical cancer program to provide the guidance and advice of the office to receive. This program will be the second cancer-based initiative the company has launched, following the recent announcement of the start of its pancreatic cancer research program.
“We are thrilled to expand our Ifenprodil cancer research program with SCLC,” said Christopher J. Moreau, CEO of Algernon Pharmaceuticals. “We also welcome Dr. William North to help us lead the investigation of Ifenprodil’s potential as a novel non-toxic cancer therapy.”
About Dr. William North
dr. North is a professor emeritus of physiology and neurobiology at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College and was a senior faculty member of the Norris Cotton Cancer Center. dr. North was appointed professor in 1988 and entered medical school in 1974. From 1979 to 1984, he received the NIH’s Research Career Development Award. dr. North has served on several advisory boards, including the NIH and DOD departments, is a member of the CALGB, the American Association for Cancer Research, the Endocrine Society and AAAS, and is a Fellow of the International Neuropeptide Society.
For over 40 years, Dr. North’s research to elucidate the role of different receptors in common cancers, and his recent work explores the importance of NMDA receptors for the growth and survival of small cell, breast, pancreatic, ovarian and prostate tumors and how this discovery can be clinically applied. are used using NMDA receptor blockade with antagonists and antibodies. dr. North has published extensively with 232 scholarly manuscripts and 17 reviews and book chapters and is an inventor of several US patents. dr. North has a Ph.D. in biochemistry, and in physiology, from the University of Queensland, Australia, an MS (equivalent) from the University of Melbourne, and an honorary doctorate from Dartmouth College.
Ifenprodil is an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist that specifically targets the NMDA-type subunit 2B (GluN2B). Ifenprodil prevents glutamate signaling. The NMDA receptor is found on many tissues, including lung cells, T cells and neutrophils, and certain types of cancer cells.
About Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Algernon is a drug re-use company that explores safe, pre-approved drugs and naturally occurring compounds for new disease applications, moves them efficiently and safely to new human trials, develops new formulations and seeks new regulatory approvals in global markets. Algernon is specifically investigating compounds that have never been approved in the US or Europe to avoid writing off-label prescriptions.
Christopher J. Moreau
Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
604,398.4175 ext 701
Neither the Canadian Securities Exchange nor its market regulator (as that term is defined in Canadian Securities Exchange policies) assumes any responsibility for the suitability or accuracy of this press release.
CAUTION DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: No Securities Exchange has reviewed or endorsed the suitability or accuracy of the contents of this press release. This press release contains forward-looking statements regarding product development, licensing, commercialization and regulatory compliance and other statements that are not historical facts. Forward-looking statements are often referred to by terms such as “will”, “may”, “would”, “anticipate”, “expect” and similar expressions. All statements other than statements of historical fact included in this release are forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. There can be no assurance that such statements will prove to be accurate and that actual results and future events could differ materially from those anticipated in such statements. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the Company’s expectations include non-compliance with the terms of the relevant stock exchange(s) and other risks disclosed from time to time in the Company’s filed filings with the securities regulations. The reader is cautioned that assumptions used in preparing forward-looking information may prove incorrect. Events or circumstances could cause actual results to differ materially from those predicted due to numerous known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are beyond the Company’s control. The reader is cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking information. Such information, while considered reasonable by management at the time of preparation, may prove to be inaccurate and actual results may differ materially from those anticipated. Forward-looking statements in this press release are expressly qualified by this cautionary statement. The forward-looking statements in this press release are made as of the date of this press release and the company will publicly update or revise the incorporated forward-looking statements as expressly required by applicable law.